Tuesday, November 4, 2014

#TransformationTuesday - Poem: Where I'm From

Earlier in the semester, in my AEE 311 course on Youth Organizations & Leadership, we wrote poems to describe where we were from, because without understanding where we are from we can never truly understand where our peers and/or future students are coming from. The below poem, Where I'm From, is just one way for me to describe the non-agricultural aspects of where I come from, and to describe the beginnings of what has transformed me into the person I am today.


Where I'm From

I'm from the land of hoagies, 
wooder ice and "Yo Adrian"

I'm from tiny two walls, sometimes three, 
full of furballs, games and music

I'm from haunted rooms, records, 
binders and photobooks of memories long gone

I'm from brick walls, concrete patios, 
closest park is full of headstones

I'm from Mommom and Poppop, 
the house of Peats and RePeats, 
Elf's, Squirts and Mountain Man

I'm from sweet potato casserole, 
coleslaw and mincemeat pie

I'm from the red, white, and blue 
sirens, guns, uniforms, and badges

I'm from the smell of hay, leather and dirt 
mixed with packed bodies on buses and EL's

I'm from yelling, screaming, 
crying, and laughing

I'm from Bells and Bridges, 
Rivers and Marble Steps

I'm from 
brotherly and sisterly





No comments :

Post a Comment